Gas safety

We've put together some advice and guidance about gas safety below. Please let us know straight away if you have any concerns or if you would like to talk about your gas safety check. 

If you suspect a gas or carbon monoxide leak, please call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 at any time of the day or night..



Gas safety checks

Why you should have a gas safety check each year

It’s essential that your boiler, meter, cooker and other gas appliances are checked and serviced every year by an accredited  Gas Safe Registered engineer. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. 

CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly and without warning as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it. The main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse, and loss of consciousness. 

  • Read more about the effects of CO here

Who is responsible for safety checks?

If you’re a tenant

It's your landlord's responsibility to check the gas pipework, heating and hot water systems in your home. We do this for all our tenants each year and employ Gas Safe Registered contractors to carry out checks on our behalf - they will contact you beforehand to arrange a convenient time to do this. After the visit, you’ll receive a certificate called a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. Please contact us if you’d like to discuss your annual gas safety check.

Gas appliances
Please get your own gas appliances checked annually. You should arrange for this to be done by a Gas Safe Registered engineer - find out more on the Gas Safe Register website. You can set a reminder so you don’t forget at

If you’re a homeowner

Homeowners, including Shared Ownership residents, are responsible for maintaining gas pipework, heating, and hot water systems as well as gas appliances. You should have these checked and serviced annually by an engineer registered with Gas Safe - you can find details of qualified engineers in your area on the  Gas Safe Register. Failure to carry out annual checks could mean that you’re in breach of your lease agreement.

Advice from the Gas Safe Register

Read more guidance below:

  • Check for warning signs that could indicate your (or others) gas appliances are not working correctly. Signs may include lazy yellow /orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, error messages or unexpected noises from your boiler or dark and sooty stains around your gas appliance. Contact your landlord, or, if you own the appliance, ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to check it. You can find a registered engineer at or by calling 0800 408 5500.
  • Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm and look out for your community by making sure your friends, relatives and neighbours have one too. Check they are marked EN50291 and display the British Standards’ Kitemark.
  • Check your engineer is qualified for the type of gas work you need doing e.g., natural gas, domestic boiler. You can find this information on the back of their Gas Safe ID card and the Gas Safe Register website.

For additional gas safety advice and to find or check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at

> Read more about Keeping your home safe